Thursday, January 23, 2014

more WIPs than FOs ... C'est la vie

January in Montana is feeling a whole lot like SPRING. It's really weird and while I love the sunny days, I am also missing the snow that I know we should be receiving this time of year.

I have been working on many WIPs.

Spring is coming

I finished my first one at a time sock! I know why two at a time appeals to me, because I can be willy nilly about the leg length, or if I want to make my toe this pointy instead of that. I can just knit it how I like and not give a second thought to those measurements. But with one at a time, I am forcing myself to keep diligent notes to help with the second sock. It will drive me crazy if one has a longer leg than the other. That said, I am really enjoying the process of these socks :) I have definitely become a ginormous Crazy Zauberball fan!!

After finishing the first, I immediately cast on the second sock:

Spring is coming
 

and then I cast on three new projects... :):):)

The first is Socks on a Plane by Laura Linneman, in A Yarn Loving Mama's Volcano of Love sock yarn:

Socks on a Plane


I am so in love with this yarn!! All of the speckles make me so happy! I am also enjoying this pattern very much! They are my first cabled socks and I am cabling without a needle, oh yeah! I learned how to from Leethal Knits tutorial. It has made me so excited about cables that I can't wait to knit more this way.


Socks on a Plane
stitch marker by AYLM too, isn't it so pretty?


These socks were unplanned and not on my 2014 socks list... but I couldn't resist the KAL on IG and Rav for them!! They will probably take me through February to complete. I am planning to do my first Fish Lips Kiss Heel on them. I am always the last to the party on trends but I am very excited to try this heel!


The second cast on is a Hitchhiker in my handspun!!

handspun hitchhiker!


It was spun during the Tour de Fleece in 2013. It is 100% merino and I have about 372 yards. I might use another handspun to finish, because I'm sure I will run out of yarn. This is my first project knitting with my handspun and it is so wonderful. I love knowing I spun the yarn...and the idea still trips me up sometimes.


handspun hitchhiker!


I haven't made much progress on my third cast on because I ended up frogging what I had knit and going down a needle size, but I will tell you that it is a test knit! And I am using more kool-aid dyed yarn.


As far as finished objects, I have two!

Weasley Homestead

Pattern: The Weasley Homestead by Erica Lueder
Yarn: KP Bare handdyed with Kool-Aid
Needles: 2.25 mm TAAT
Modifications: none


I also finished my first ever cross stitch sampler:

Woodland sampler 2013

Woo hoo!!! It is the Woodland Sampler by the Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery. I adore it. I framed and hung it over my yarn stash, next to a photo of my gram. It was not in my budget to have this professionally framed, so I bought a frame that holds three 5x7" photos, removed the matting, and it fits perfectly. It took a little ironing to keep the edges tucked in. yay!


One last thing, we tried this recipe from Skinnytaste last week...it is so good I made them again:

not the prettiest photo but Skinnytaste's Sweet Potato Irish Nachos are seriously delicious!!!!
sweet potato Irish nachos.......... :)

yumm-o! 



What have you been up to? xx

6 comments:

  1. I like each of your projects! Two pairs of socks and one pair finished. They look cozy. The sampler is adorable. And damn those nachos look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefanie!! you must try the nachos, sooo good and easy!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you share the Zauberball love!! And I really love the finished sox. AAAAAnd I'm looking forward to the current ones being done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND THE HITCHHIKER!! how could i not mention the hitchhiker! so special the first project with handspun!!! i think i made four sweaters so far out of my handspun and i don't think i'll ever NOT be excited about them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thanks Dag!! yeah the handspun Hitchhiker is so special!! (I do hope it softens up a bit when washed though!) I can't imagine how cozy a handspun sweater must be!!

      and yes, Zauberball love is big here!! can't wait to have more colorways :)

      Delete
  4. Fun post! Your WIPS are lovely! You make me sock crazy Jesse! I want to knit 4 pairs with everything else, ha!

    I picked up the two at a time book you recommended from the library on Friday, yay! Thank you so much for the recommendation.

    I enjoyed knitting the hitchhiker, I agree something like handspun is lovely for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥