Monday, September 30, 2013

a good weekend

Made grandma's chex mix today ... Always means that it's fall


This weekend I made my grandma's chex mix. It's really amazing how taste can bring memories and feelings to the present. My mix didn't turn out as good as I remember her's being, but it is still good. I am planning to make more batches for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. It was always her tradition to make it during the fall and winter; I can't remember a family gathering that didn't have it.

I also finished my dad's socks! Holy cow. Now, I want to have good thoughts and feelings tied to these socks because they ARE for my dad, but I can't help but feel they've cast bad sock juju on me this year. I know I've mentioned them before, but last year I knit them for my dad's Christmas gift, and I knit knit knit the weeks before, and finished them on Christmas Eve...and then they were too short. It was ridiculously easy to lengthen the toes, but I avoided them like the plague. And every time I started a new project or worked on something else, I felt very guilty for not finishing his socks. With enormous thanks to Andi's Get it Done KAL/CAL, I found the push to finish them. And guess what? THEY FIT!

Wooo hoo! I finally finished my dad's Christmas socks!! (From 2012...they were too short and it's taken me this long to lengthen them)


I have also finished two critters from Rebecca Danger's new book 50 Yards of Fun:

mosaic9b65b01daa4b560248dea2c4dd23de5dfc11c609



These little guys are so much fun to knit! So far I have knit the Itty-Bitty Bat and the Half-Sized Hippo :) I think the fox is next. They are quick since they only use about fifty yards of yarn. I put all my worsted weight odds and ends in a basket so I know what I have. I would love to knit it all down!

I hope everyone has a great week, stay warm!

6 comments:

  1. Yummm, Chex Mix is classic! I usually put less cereal than what the recipe calls for. I think it's great how you made it to invoke memories of your beloved grams.
    The socks are posh! Great job on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so yummy!! It never lasts long around here :) xx

      Delete
  2. we always have it during the holidays but this year I decided it's actually a much healthier snack than store bought munchies so I always have batch made up

    I substitue off brand Cheerios instead of the bagel chips ~ Cheerios shrink up really small but the off brands stay puffy :)

    it's also a great camping snack!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not healthier if that's all I eat in a day ;) hehe I am going to make another batch this weekend. That is a good idea to use Cheerios instead...but are they a little bland in it?

      Delete
  3. Wow! Look at all of that! Looks like a great weekend. We are almost at another and I have a strong desire to eat chex mix and finish a pair of socks (my first!)

    You know, I've never personally made that stuff from scratch... I prefer it though, I'm one of those that bowl hovers at parties with the stuff. heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we must be kindred spirits! I am such a bowl hoverer at parties too :) it is really easy to make it, you should try!

      Yay for your first pair of socks! It just so happens that I'm wearing the first pair that I knit, right now :) They are still my favorite pair :)

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥