Thursday, May 16, 2013

tough

Gram and mom
grandma and mom

My grandma passed away last Thursday at home. She was so special to me and I am still having a hard time believing she is gone. She's lived with us since I was young and has always been there. The year I was in kindergarten, I slept every night in her bed even though I wasn't supposed to. When we moved to the new house, they laid carpet in her room first so we could be the first ones to sleep in the new home, in sleeping bags. We spent many hours together crocheting side by side, or watching Wheel of Fortune and eating candy orange slices.

She developed a urinary tract infection mid-February and was never able to recover. I am relieved she is no longer in pain, the last few months were very difficult for her, and there's comfort in knowing she is with grandpa again. But even though we had time to say goodbye and prepare ourselves, the time to say the final goodbye was, and still is, incredibly painful.

One of the last things she said to me was, "I have always loved you, since you were a little girl." That is my grandma in one word: love. I hope I will embody the meaning of that word as much as she did.

rest in peace, grandma, we love and miss you so much xx

8 comments:

  1. I am very sorry for the loss of your beautiful grandmother. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sweetness - my deepest sympathies to you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so, so sorry Jesse. I can empathize with your loss - my grandmothers were very special women in my life and are most of the reason that I knit as much as I do. Sending lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for your loss of your beautiful, precious grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so sorry for your loss, but i'm positive your grandma is up there with your grandpa and smiling down on you after reading this post. it's a great tribute to an obviously great woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coming out of lurk to say that I'm so sorry for your loss. It's wonderful that you had such loving memories with and of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry love that I didn't read this post sooner. I am deeply sorry for this huge loss. May your heart heal soon, but the memories remain forever. XO

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥