Saturday, March 29, 2014

sock darning

Happy weekend friends! I am doubly enjoying it because I have an extra long, four day weekend :) So far it feels very productive; I crossed off a resolution!

I have a pair of beautiful (purchased) Fair Isle socks that I haven't worn for a few years because I wore the heels thin. Besides the heels and toes, the socks are in good condition and I could never bring myself to throw them away! For a long time they sat in my sock drawer waiting to be fixed. Finally at the beginning of this year I decided they must be repaired, and moved them to my knitting shelf. One of the reasons I kept putting off fixing these socks was because I didn't have a darning egg. And the last time I went to my LYS they were out. There are always a lot of reasons not to do something, huh? ;)

The ultimate push was reading Hannah's superb tutorial on sock darning.

 sock darning with a lightbulb 

I used scrap yarn to darn, and I lucked out finding some that matched the socks! (the pink scraps I mean, I ended up not using the brown) But really, I wouldn't mind if the darned part mismatched the socks.

In lieu of a darning egg, I found a light bulb. I remember reading somewhere of someone using one... I also considered using a hard boiled egg, haha! It would work I think :) 

sock darning with a lightbulb

I'll post photos of my process, but you really should visit Hannah's blog for the tutorial.

sock darning with a lightbulb
so actually, this was the only process photo I took LOL


sock darning with a lightbulb


sock darning with a lightbulb


I am pretty pleased with my darning. I think gram would be too :) 


sock darning with a lightbulb


And the toes received a little love too.

Now I just wait for my hand knit socks to show signs.....


ETA: looks like I'll be needing to find a new "darning egg" as Scott used mine to replace the garage light. haha!

10 comments:

  1. I love that you darned these, Jesse ~ I was talking to my friend Will about how much I love doing the same thing. They look great!!!

    I mentioned you on the blog and how you inspired my Hermione's...I'll be checking your FO's on rav for more sock inspiration :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa!! It's really soothing to darn, isn't it? :) I'm almost wishing my other socks would get holes in them just so I can fix them....almost!!!!

      and thank you for mentioning me!! Your Hermione's are gorgeous. I am always being inspired by people's ravelry project pages!! hehe!! i can go crazy on there.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Way to go on Mc Guyvering it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be careful with a light bulb... Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I thought about that! especially when I put all of it into the WIPs bag on the table... don't worry though, I'm not sure we have any more lightbulbs like that (they're all the energy efficient kind) so I might pick up a darning egg ;)

      Delete
  4. Your darning looks great. I've tried darning, and mine never looks so good. I guess I need to practice more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth! This was my second try, but my first time "kind of" knowing what I was doing haha!! The first time I darned I thought you had to duplicate stitch .... it took forever.

      Delete
  5. So impressed with the quality and zeal you take on new techniques Jesse, it's truly inspiring. This darning is just another example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ellen. you are so sweet xx

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥