Friday, October 12, 2012

FOs and books, but no FO photos...

Hi friends,

I thought I'd check in even though I don't have too much to show you yet. Thanks for your lovely comments of support and advice on my last post, they were so nice! I am still very nervous about teaching but I know with more experience I will gain confidence.

In the past week, I have finished two pairs of socks! One is the Diagonal Lace Socks that I started so long ago, and the other pair is for my friend Lorri. I haven't taken photos of either pair yet, but I will not forget to snap some before I send Lorri's socks to her! They turned out beautifully and I really hope they fit.

I cast on this pair a few days ago:

Knitting with this yarn cheers me up #iloveagoodwip
ssss
with the fabulous Cakewalk Yarn I purchased from my podcast friend, Amanda at Knitting Psychos. They will be nice and plain stockinette socks. 

I also received this wonderful San Fransisco/German care package from my cousins:

I knit my expecting cousins a baby blanket and they sent me this as a thank you!! So nice of them!

They are expecting their first baby and I knit them a baby blanket. This box of chocolates and coffee was a thank you from them :) Right now they live in California so I don't see them very often, but I am getting excited about knitting baby things now that I know it's a boy ;)


In other news, I'm voting via absentee ballot for the first time this year, and I just got my ballot! They didn't send me a I Voted sticker though... I've also started several new books. One is Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project, which I've skimmed a lot. I borrowed it from the library which was a good decision. I think the problem I have with it is the pace and her writing approach. The writing itself is good, it's just that what it says doesn't excite me. She says she spent a year researching first before writing The Happiness Project, which seems weird to me. Happiness doesn't need research does it? Her research appears in the first chapter in the form of quotes and thoughts from famous dead people. I also have a problem with her dialogue recreations; if this is a book about a past journey, why include dialogue? It feels fake since it's absurd to think we can remember an exact exchange of words between two people that happened years ago -- and I realize we're probably not supposed to take it word for word, but I don't like it. This book would be better without dialogue. /rant (funny how talking about The Happiness Project did not make me happier...)

I'm also reading Mariana by Susanna Kearsley, which was the Kindle Daily Deal the other day. It's a time transportation book. In this case, the main character goes to 17th century England. I really enjoy this kind of book so I'm sure I will like this one.

Did I tell you I finished Gone Girl? Ultimately I didn't like it because the ending was so disappointing! That's all I will say. 


So silly. That's her rear leg too.
Berny masters the back leg face palm
I didn't mean to write so much, especially about The Happiness Project... if you have read it, I would like to know what you thought!  

 Bye for now, TGIF :)

4 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your Cakewalk yarn! Those socks are going to be beauties!

    I think it depends on the person as to how they feel about The Happiness Project. We read it in my book club and my good friend hated it but I really liked it. :) Two things I think I took away from it are that 1.) sometimes we buy/keep things around us because we want to be a certain kind of person that we actually aren't (I think her example in the book is a guy who buys a ton of golf stuff but never goes golfing) and 2.) buying stuff to treat yourself often does not actually make you happier.

    Keep the cute kitty photos coming, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your reply about the book. I really should give it a fair chance, but sometimes I can be close minded about books if there's something I don't like. Your comment stuck with me all day yesterday after I read it, which made me really appreciate your comment but also made me reconsider giving the book another try. I think I will :)

      And I am very psyched about the Cakewalk too! Thank you!

      More cute kitty photos? No problemo :)

      Delete
  2. That Cherry Blossom yarn is fabulous - and so perfectly named. I might have to get some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incredibly gorgeous!! It's a real treat!

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥