Sunday, April 13, 2014

sock wips and a confession

Happy Sunday! Though it's only about 36 degrees F, it is incredibly sunny! I tried knitting outdoors but the wind was just a little too spring-filled yet. So I'm typing this while sitting on the floor, my feet in a bright sun beam. It's an okay compromise :)

Today I invested in a retirement plan. It feels good even though I really don't like to think about money. So I am looking forward to the day I can retire, though it seems so far away, but I am more than enjoying my days right now. Anyway, enough about that.

I've been knitting nothing but socks lately!

P1050237

This is the pair for my dad. They are meant for his birthday (in May) but my brother wants us all to go in on a big present for him. That means, I have until June (!!!) to finish these instead for Father's Day :) I am overjoyed by that news!


P1050232

I knit more on my swap socks. I think I will start the heel soon. This really is one of my favorite sock knitting methods!!


P1050233

And I cast on a new pair. The super sweet Vanessa of Lynai Yarns sent me a special anniversary skein. This colorway is based off of a photo I submitted for her one year anniversary colorway contest, and is called Star Trails. As soon as I had a pair of socks off the needles, these went on.


Lynai Yarn: Star Trails


P1050236

That pattern is Honey Badger by Irishgirlieknits, and I will use a Fish Lips Kiss heel. This pattern is obscured a bit by the colors, but I think once it's on the foot and stretched a little it will show better. It is a great pattern and I am obsessed with knitting on these!!


I mentioned a finished pair:


Good news: they're finished! Bad news: they're too big... Good news: my sister in law's Christmas gift is taken care of  9/13 #burningsockdesire


Yay! The yarn is Knit Picks Felici in High Tide. This is my ninth pair this year... however, they are too big for me! I had a feeling they might be, but kept knitting anyway. Instead of frogging the toes and part of the foot, I am going to gift them to my sister-in-law. She's not going to read this but someone else who knows her might ... (Abbey, shhhhh!!!)


I've been happily and feverishly knitting on socks because in just a little bit a box of yarn is going to arrive, and then I will have to change gears and knit baby things. On this blog, I try very hard to be neutral on topics that I know are controversial, or I don't even voice my opinion. That said, I know I am going to receive backlash by the following statement, but I don't care. Here it is:

I don't like knitting baby things!!!!!!!

hehe. I think baby things are cute; teeny tiny cardis and lacy little dresses make me squee. And I know knitters who primarily knit baby things and that is wonderful. But it's so difficult for me to justify time it takes to knit the item versus time worn. The practical woman in me almost always wins. With that, I have about four expecting women in my life, and I can't not knit them something. The usual bypass to my baby knitting problem is to make blankets. Those I am on board with. However, there is no way I can knit four baby blankets in the following months. I have a few other ideas instead. As soon as the yarn arrives I will start and then share my projects :)


I hope everyone has a fabulous week ahead xx

16 comments:

  1. I love all your socks, especially the too-big blue striped ones. I am knitting the Honey Badger pattern right now, too, although mine are going cuff-down.

    I'm going to be controversial, too, I guess, because I'm with you on knitting baby items. I usually just knit baby hats, because I feel like they may fit a little longer than the sweaters and the dresses. Good luck on your upcoming baby knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I was going to knit the Honey Badgers cuff down too, because I think I prefer knitting that way, but decided that I haven't knit toe ups in awhile :)

      hehe!!! I'm glad I'm not alone!! I'm going to knit baby hats and headbands :)

      Delete
  2. TOYS! Go with the softies—you make such cute softies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was considering that!! but with babies you have to be careful with safety eyes--can't use them.

      Delete
  3. What cable length do you need for knitting two socks at a time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome!! are you going to try them two at a time? I really like the method!

      Delete
  4. You're not the only one! I knit a whole bunch of baby booties for family friends and they got such short usage - another is expecting now, and I'm trying to also think of something longer lasting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whew!! it is good to know I'm not alone! I've knit an owl wall hanging as a baby gift, and that was well received! This time I'm going to knit hats, which shouldn't take too long :)

      Delete
  5. I totally understand! I love knitting baby things, but I have 4 kids and I just have a hard time knitting things that are not hats or scarves (they can be worn more than one season) for this same reason. Seriously why knit a sweater for a 9 year old who will only wear it a few times for one winter....maybe 2 when I can knit a sweater for me to be worn a ton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I definitely think about how often an item will be used before I start knitting it too! --especially when knitting for others :)

      Delete
  6. You had me laughing this post! I read this, "That said, I know I am going to receive backlash by the following statement, but I don't care. Here it is:" and I was like, oh my! And then it's baby knitting, ha! hahahhaahaha. Your are too cute and so funny! I think it's interesting how you are concerned about the practicality/amount of "use" an item will actually get in comparison to the amount of time you spent making something. Don't get me wrong, I get it! However my instinct was to originally knit a blanket, but then I'm like ugh all that time to knit a gift they may or may not like! I am forsaking the baby blanket for another cardigan. Also people think it's funny to put their little people in old man sweaters (maybe it's just me). I always get excellent photos back, ha! Anyhow, way faster than a blanket to get back to sock knitting. My friend Denise swears by the infant hat. Because everyone sticks their kid in a hat for the first 3 - 6 mos. so you know it gets used and it's a quick knit, win win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehehe!!! glad I got you! ;) have to keep you guys on your toes ;)

      hmm...to me a baby blanket is familiar and easy to knit - and kind of mindless depending on the pattern. but with a cardigan,... I am still working on my first one! I know a baby cardi is so much smaller, but the sweater construction still intimidates me! mainly because I haven't had much experience. I think old man sweaters for babies is the cutest thing! Have you seen the one with little elbow patches? hehe! I am definitely knitting baby hats for these women!! lol 3 out of 4 of them are having girls (and we're just waiting to hear from the fourth mom about her baby's gender) so the yarn I ordered should stretch well!!

      Do you have a favorite baby cardigan pattern? Maybe I won't knit one this time, but I really would like to knit one soon :)

      Delete
  7. I recently started knitting baby stuff and it's so much fun lol. It makes me feel like I'm an incredibly fast knitter. If you go the route of toys, try embroidering the eyes or you can make blocks/balls. Those are a two for one if you incorporate either numbers or letters. As for cardigans check out the little coffee bean cardigan and gramps on ravelry.
    -Collynda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stuffies or baby hats are good. Much more wear out of those. Love your sock WIPs. I miss making socks.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥