Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sundial Agenda

I was just scrolling though the blog OMAkO's Posterous and found an awesome idea for agendas! (direct link to post)

I've always been really interested in organization (probably too much) and of course, if there's a way to do it myself, I will ^-^ For the past few years I've been struggling with finding/creating a functional agenda design, and I think the sundial approach is a very visual representation, which is awesome for me.

Piccadilly sells these agendas:

Each page of the Sundial Agenda represents either AM or PM, and you write your plan like spokes on a bicycle wheel, making it clear, intuitive, and easy to plan and see your daily schedule.

Muji sells a similar type of agenda, and I actually prefer theirs over Piccadilly, based on the feeling I get from their respective websites. Muji's philosophy:

MUJI is not a brand whose value rests in the frills and “extras” it adds to its products.

MUJI is simplicity - but a simplicity achieved through a complexity of thought and design.

MUJI’s streamlining is the result of the careful elimination and subtraction of gratuitous features and design unrelated to function.

MUJI, the brand, is rational, and free of agenda, doctrine, and “isms.” The MUJI concept derives from us continuously asking, “What is best from an individual’s point of view?”

MUJI aspires to modesty and plainness, the better to adapt and shape itself to the styles, preferences, and practices of as wide a group of people as possible. This is the single most important reason people embrace MUJI.
MUJI - in its deliberate pursuit of the pure and the ordinary - achieves the extraordinary.

And, based on Piccadilly's price tag of $12.95 to Muji's $5.50 for basically the same notebook... who needs the frills? Because that's what you're paying for, or so it seems. Not that I have anything against Piccadilly, because I've never used or purchased one.

I'm going to play around with this concept. But one of my main concerns is paper usage. Currently I use two pages to display one week, but the sundial uses two pages for just one day. I think if I opt for a smaller sized notebook or keep the size I have (which is a Moleskin Large Squared Notebook, 5.25" x 8.25" 240 pages) and just divide one page into AM and PM. That still uses a lot of paper though. If anyone has ideas on how to make this a more economical idea, I'd love to hear them!


Anyway, thanks Matt from OMAkO's Posterous for the great idea! (I hope I didn't weird you out by linking your blog, but I loved the idea so much)

1 comment:

  1. sundial agenda? that sounds rly cool. i basically just make an illegible(sp?) list on a piece of paper i wrip out of a magazine or on a napkin, fold it several times and stuff it in my pocket. there, a simple an affordable agenda! btw still thinking about the irish guy

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥