Sunday, May 4, 2014

a little of everything

Good Sunday afternoon friends!

I'm going to start off with some hand dyeing that I did last week:

P1050331


I am really excited about these and I have plans to dye up some more too. I received the acid dyes and some bare yarn for my birthday, and after reading Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece by Gail Callahan about five times, I finally worked up my nerve! (it is a really good resource, I highly recommend checking it out!)


P1050345
soon to be socks!

A friend on Instagram and I have made a swap together; socks knit by me (I'm going to use the skein pictured above) in exchange for this yarn she sent me:

P1050324

A pretty fantastic swap! I am so crazy for Crazy Zauberballs :)


As for WIPs, I have a new shawl on the needles:

 Picabeau

The pattern is Picabeau by Jennifer Dassau and it is such a delight to knit! The pattern is super easy to memorize. And it's customizable to how much yarn you have; you start decreasing once you've used half of your yarn! I think that's so cool.

I am using yarn that I won from a My Sister's Knitter KAL. It's Knit Picks Gloss in Guava! It's a really pretty pink and with the yarn's silk content, it should be very cozy!



Hiking socks


Right now I'm knitting a short pair of hiking socks for myself. I want to be able to wear nice, wool socks with shorts and hiking shoes this summer. I think these will do the trick.


Hiking socks


I have used an Eye of the Partridge heel flap... I think it's the prettiest. The yarn is Patons Kroy in Celestial Colors on 2.25 mm needles. I have been keeping this sock in my purse and surprisingly, I've been able to knit on it a lot while running errands.


Progress on my Once Upon a Time sampler:

Once Upon a Time

I've finished April in time for May, yay!! So sweet, isn't it?

Once Upon a Time

But you can see that I still have a few blocks to fill in :) You can find the pattern here.



Guess what? I finished a pair of socks! Only, I have a few ends to weave in.

Lots of ends to weave in for your socks @littlecreatable !!!

heheh :) My goal today is to finish weaving them in. I have one sock's ends woven in, but had to take a break. I really don't mind weaving ends in. I've decided that it looks much neater on the right side than a Russian join. For some reason, I always get a little bump with Russian joins.


Enjoy your week! x

14 comments:

  1. I love a little of everything, Jesse ~ especially that hand dye ~ you have it down perfectly (etsy shop prospects???? just sayin' ~ mooHaha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Melissa!! and yes, etsy is glimmering in the near future!!!

      Delete
  2. You are so artistic Jesse. First with your fantastic bags. Now this beautiful hand-dyed yarn. You have many gifts up your sleeve.
    Because of you I am dying to knit up some Monster socks. Now after seeing your pic up there, (I am choosing to ignore all those ends I am seeing), I really want to cast some on.
    Lovely stitches too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so nice, Andi, thank you! I hope you knit some Monster socks! I can't wait to see them! if you weave them in as you go, it's much less horrible at the end, haha!

      Delete
  3. I'm agreeing with Melissa - that yarn is gorgeous! :-)
    Seriously though, this post is so full of yarny goodness I may just go curl up with a movie and some knitting for the rest of the day! (Chores? What are they? :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I love nothing more than knitting with a movie! My favorite :) hope you have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Oh boy, look at all those ends. It's not really that bad once a knitter sits and hunker down upon it. The hiking socks are in terrific color way as they're two of my favorite colors. The guava is wonderful. Its content sounds divine. Your dyeing skillz are awesome! I want to try with Koolaid this summer for fun. I think my girls would have fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many ends!!! I wove them all in though, whew. You must koolaid dye this summer!! I think you and your girls will have a blast!!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous dyeing! And your friend is lucky to be able to get a pair of socks from yarn you hand dyed :D. And now I really need to cast on some monster socks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Truth be told, I am just really eager to see how it knits up ;) hehe yes, monster socks!!!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Some epic work you've been up to Jesse! Your hand dyed yarn is absolutely gorgeous, I can't want to see how it knits up. I completely understand the love of the Zauberball. I'm definitely sold! You know I'm bonkers about all your sock knitting and pattern choices, but one with modified yarn amounts? Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen!!! I can't wait to see how it knits up too. I think I will cast on today. I am still waffling between knitting them vanilla or using a pattern... I guess it depends on how it knits up! lol

      Delete
  7. hi jesse!

    i love the hand dyeds, you certainly have a eye for color! zauberball is a yarn i have yet to use but i hope to change that soon~ your stitching is so sweet!
    happy weekending!

    katie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't started my OUAT yet... the pattern is so cute though. Yours is looking lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥