I have a pair of beautiful (purchased) Fair Isle socks that I haven't worn for a few years because I wore the heels thin. Besides the heels and toes, the socks are in good condition and I could never bring myself to throw them away! For a long time they sat in my sock drawer waiting to be fixed. Finally at the beginning of this year I decided they must be repaired, and moved them to my knitting shelf. One of the reasons I kept putting off fixing these socks was because I didn't have a darning egg. And the last time I went to my LYS they were out. There are always a lot of reasons not to do something, huh? ;)
The ultimate push was reading Hannah's superb tutorial on sock darning.
I used scrap yarn to darn, and I lucked out finding some that matched the socks! (the pink scraps I mean, I ended up not using the brown) But really, I wouldn't mind if the darned part mismatched the socks.
In lieu of a darning egg, I found a light bulb. I remember reading somewhere of someone using one... I also considered using a hard boiled egg, haha! It would work I think :)
I'll post photos of my process, but you really should visit Hannah's blog for the tutorial.
I am pretty pleased with my darning. I think gram would be too :)
And the toes received a little love too.
Now I just wait for my hand knit socks to show signs.....
ETA: looks like I'll be needing to find a new "darning egg" as Scott used mine to replace the garage light. haha!