Sunday, March 16, 2014

Monster socks and spinning

Hello everyone! Sorry for a little absence. I celebrated my birthday a few weeks ago, and I never quite know how to talk about it! My birthday is February 29 and it never came this year, so that in itself is kind of strange! I spent several days with family and friends to celebrate, and it was really nice. I have to share this story: Scott gave me yarn but hid it all around the house. When I came home from work, I found skeins in my slippers, in the coffee mugs, under my pillow...they were everywhere! It was really sweet :)

Ok, things to share. You might remember I started a cross stitch sampler of fairy tales; here is my progress:

Untitled

I finished February! It is a very cute project to work on but it takes a lot more concentration than knitting.


I am also working on a pair of Monster socks:

P1050080

I meant to blog about them sooner!! The socks are part of a KAL with Sheralynn from the Fibre Pigeonhole Podcast (it runs the month of March and it's not too late to join the KAL!)

Katie has already finished her pair and they look awesome! I am partial to purple so I loved them right away :):)

Monster socks are basically socks made from your yarn scraps. I decided to limit myself to six different leftovers, and made a magic ball:

P1050084

I used the Russian join method and I have to say it works very well.

#monstersockskal #iloveagoodsip

The pattern I am using are Hermione's Everyday socks and a Fish Lips Kiss heel. I considered using an afterthought heel...maybe the next pair. And yes, I have ideas for another pair of monster socks using self striping yarn!

I also cast on March socks, but I am feeling a little iffy on them:

P1050095

The pattern is Shur'tugal; it's nice but a little challenging! I am on the fence about the yarn choice however. The pattern is not standing out so far (I have knit about another inch further than this, and it still seems unremarkable). For those of you who have knit this pattern, did the twisted stitches stand out right away or did it take several pattern repeats to notice them? I might frog this and find another pattern for this yarn!


I did finish a pair of socks:

Finished socks! This is pair 7/13. The yarn is Opal Vincent Van Gogh :) #operationsockdrawer #burningsockdesire

The yarn is Zwerger Garn Opal Vincent Van Gogh in the Red Vineyards at Arles colorway. I like 64 stitches on 2.25 mm needles, and I used a modified Eye of the Partridge heel, which I also really like. This formula seems to fit me so well, so I use it all the time :) I am pretty happy that this is my seventh pair so far!


Ok, how about some spinning?

P1050076


I purchased the Rambouillet roving from Dag and recently spun it up.... aren't the colors amazing?! It was my first time Navajo-plying and I really enjoyed it!


P1050078


I also started spinning a batt from Moonrover:

Dear Lacey, these batts are too fun! I love spinning them. Thank you again! xx @moonroveryarn

It is a really fun assortment of fibers and I am enjoying every bit of it.


I hope everyone has a relaxing and happy weekend :)

11 comments:

  1. I miss knitting socks. I hope to knit some Pomatomus soon. I never would have thought that your Hermione socks were made of leftover yarn! The blend is very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of all the things, socks are my favorite things to knit. I hope you can knit Pomatomus soon, what a pretty pattern! and thank you, I tried to choose yarns that would go nicely together :)

      Delete
  2. A belated hau'oli la hanau to you! What a sweet fiance you have. That is so creative and wicked of him.
    What a socks roll call! I'm green with envy! I like how that fish lips hell made the left sock look like it has a face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thank you!! Very wicked indeed :)

      And I see the face too, haha!! It makes a funny looking heel, but man, it fits so well!

      It's nice to work on other crafts, isn't it? Sometimes I just want to spin all day. And sometimes it's cross stitch! There have been periods when I didn't knit for like a week because I was cross stitching!

      Delete
  3. Oh and I love the organic and rustic look of your spinning. Your cross stitch makes me wanna abandon my Knitting and get into that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy belated birthday! i love scott's delivery method :)

    the monster socks look great - i love them!

    i'm kinda with you about shur'tugal though :( i love the pattern but the yarn looks like it's fighting the pattern. i think i'd look for another yarn for that pattern myself. (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe thanks Jody! he is a little too clever sometimes... ;)

      I frogged Shur'tugal!! I think I knew all along that I didn't like the yarn and pattern together, because I would always find something else to work on. I will try the pattern again in a different yarn, definitely! Thanks for the final nudge!!

      Delete
  5. so lovely to see all your knitting and spinning bundled up in one blog post and the idea of scott hiding yarn all over the house is just awesome!!! he knows you well!! - i know it certainly would make my day!!!
    you have a great weekend too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe thanks Dag! Once I start writing, I don't stop hehe ;) and he is pretty clever! lol

      Delete
  6. Happy belated birthday! I loved the story about Scott hiding yarn all over the house for you. It's not just love, but such thoughtful love. I'm really impressed with him, gold stars!!

    I love coming for a visit and seeing your lovely projects, and reading about your new techniques. I just learned the double knot join, I'll have to go investigate the Russian join later. Still working on socks :) I always want to knit after reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! and you got it exactly, he is so thoughtful.

      You are so sweet, it honestly means so much to hear you say that!! we are such a great community here :)

      Delete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥