Tuesday, January 29, 2013

a new adventure!

Hi friends! We woke up to snow! Today will be spent being cozy on the couch, knitting, with Berny :)

I thought I had written about my new adventure, but I just looked back through the posts and realize I haven't! So, my adventure is that I'm learning how to .......

........................ drum roll ..............................

SPIN YARN! 


A lot of friends on Instagram are spinners and I'm so envious of their gorgeous handspun yarns! And it makes me really excited to think about knitting with yarn that I've spun - I think that's the coolest thing. Ever. I'm learning on a drop spindle and roving that I purchased from Joseph's Coat:

Gone spinning, see you soon :)

I honestly can't remember what kind of wool this is, but I want to say it's BFL. There are little seeds and bits of grass in it... which I kind of like because it gives the wool a natural feeling, yet, I don't want it in my yarn! I had an option to take a class with the LYS owner, but for now, I think I will practice on my own. I borrowed a few spinning books from the library and have been watching a lot of videos on YouTube. I really like Tanya's 'Learn to Draft Fiber' video:



(Tanya is also the owner of A Yarn Loving Mama Etsy shop and has beautiful handmade drop spindles, roving, and stitch markers)

I've spun about half of the blue roving so far! My first spindles-worth is lumpy, uneven, and has too much spin in it - but I'm going to keep it :) I started again, being more mindful of keeping it smooth and putting less spin in. It is slow going because I don't practice every day... I think that might change because I just received this gorgeous hand-dyed roving from Amanda at Pretty Penny Fiber Arts:

New roving from @mommako!

So lush! They are incredibly squishy and smooth and beautiful... I just love them. I am peeing myself because I want to spin them so badly, but I also don't want to undo their perfect little braids!

Stay warm and safe out there!

3 comments:

  1. So pretty!! Oh I admire you! I want to learn to spin so badly! But I am a little intimidated by it! I should watch some YouTube videos, maybe that will help me overcome my fear ;)
    Those are such pretty colors though! I think I would have the same problem and not want to unbraid them! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! You really should pick up a spindle and some roving...and it is NOT hard!! It really isn't! My very first try wasn't very pretty, but I will still knit with it :) this second try, with the purple and white wool, is going so much nicer and the singles are looking pretty! do you have a LYS that sells roving and spindles? Maybe you can take a class or someone there can show you in person. I hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I need to dig out my spindle from Interweave Knitting Lab and the pencil roving. Thanks for the video rec! Can't wait to see your spun fiber.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥