Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sunday already?

This weekend is going by much too quickly! We spent a lot of yesterday cooking, dehydrating meals, and cleaning up. We managed to make and dehydrate Thai Noodles and Black Bean Stew; they are both really tasty! Dehydrating meals is somewhat of a new adventure for us, we started trying it last year after finding the Backpack Gourmet. I was skeptical at first but the recipes in this book are actually really good (like, meals to cook on a regular basis even!). It has recipes for both hot and cold breakfasts, lunches, dinners, breads/crackers, and snacks. What really sealed the deal for me is it's sooo easy to rehydrate the food when camping- just add water and boil. That makes camp life so much less stressful if it's getting dark, you're starved, and don't want to cook! And since the meal wasn't prepared in the pot, just rehydrated, it's ridiculously easy to clean up (I hate washing dishes when camping).


This past week I finished a pair of fingerless mittens:

Grand Right & Left Mitts #getitdone2013 #wipdown

Pattern: Grand Right and Left by Paula McKeever
Cast on: April 1, 2013
Finished: August 1, 2013
Yarn: Knit Picks Telemark in Aubergine
Needles: US 4
Modifications: none!

I looove these mitts. They were a mystery KAL that I couldn't resist....but lost my steam after the first mitt! Very happy these are finished and am looking forward to autumn so I can wear them :)


I have also picked up my dad's (last year's) Christmas socks again:

I can finally look at these socks again. They were my dad's Christmas present last year but they were too short

The toes were too short!! I had put off knitting these until the final weeks before Christmas, and knit like a madwoman. I think I actually finished them on Christmas Eve....and then they didn't fit! I probably cried. It has seriously taken all these months to gather up my strength.


And progress on my Whitecaps Hat:

White caps

The color is a little off in this photo, but you get the idea! I am on the last pattern repeat before decreasing. I would like to finish this hat in time for our Canadian vacation :) T-minus eight days!!!!!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend :)

13 comments:

  1. I love your mitts! What a beautiful pattern and the cables just plump up in the Telemark. They'll be so great to use in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jody! Telemark has such great stitch definition, it was a good pairing :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting about the dehydrated meals. I remember when you had mentioned them before. The fact that you can dehydrate Thai noodles, blows me away! How fantastic is that.
    And looks at all your beautiful projects. The color of those mitts is just so rich and lush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can dehydrate anything!! Not all the meals translate as well when rehydrated but it's a pretty cool process.

      Delete
  3. Second mitt syndrome??

    glad you got over it, because they are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi jesse! loving the mitts, such a beautiful color~ we went camping a few weeks ago & the dehydrated meals would have been nice to have~ i've only dehydrated apples & herbs~
    hope you're have a good week!

    katie~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! I love dried apples!! Though I eat them too quickly :)

      Delete
  5. I don't know where you are heading in Canada, but hopefully, it won't be cold enough for you to wear your hat ;-) Yeah for your finished fingerless mittens and for working again on your dad's socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe you were right, it wasn't cold enough for a hat!! Although, it was very chilly in Whistler and Banff.

      Delete
  6. I love the fingerless gloves and I absolutely ADORE the colour. Hat pattern is beautiful too! I think it's brilliant to get the finished product at the end of a knitting project; it makes it all worthwhile if it turns out right! x

    www.cooking-in-cashmere.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥