Monday, July 18, 2011

Bookend: The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

via philippagregory.com

From all the hype I've heard about this book (and movie), I knew it must be a good read. And it is.

The Other Boleyn Girl is told from Mary Boleyn's point of view, the sister of Anne Boleyn who becomes Henry VIII's second wife. As a historical fiction piece, I found it very interesting and well written. Gregory certainly seems to have the historical details down, as my research proves (i.e. Wikipedia) and that is important for a story such as this. I'm not sure how much Gregory embellished, though I did hear an argument that she didn't play very close attention to some characterizations of people.

Either way, the characters are very engaging and interesting, the pacing is well managed (except it does drag a little towards the end. Maybe it's just because I was antsy for the beheadings...), and it's a very accessible read.
Now I just need to watch the film!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there! Thank you so much for your time ♥ I always respond to your comments directly on this page, so if you would like notification of this, please click Notify Me xx

♥ Thank you! ♥